February 4th, 2018
Drug testing to determine your fitness in the workplace. Why is that so important? Employers and employees always inquire why there must be drug tests done. Drug tests are done to ensure the employee has not been exposed to any substance which can impose a danger to the safety in a workplace.
Why do a drug test?
The occupational Health and Safety Act (nr 85 of 1993) and the General Administrative Regulations ( section 10), states:
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub regulation (3) an employer or user, as the case may be, shall not permit any person who is or appears to be under the influence or intoxicating liquor or drugs, to enter or remain at the workplace.
(2) Subject to the provisions of sub regulation (3) no person at a workplace shall be under the influence or have in his possession or partake of or offer any person intoxicating liquor or drugs.
Depending on the Company Policy, it can be expected that all prospective employees will be tested in the pre- employment medical done by ProfSurv.
You have a right to refuse a test, but that may lead to refusal of the company to employ you.
You have a right to confidentiality. According to the POPIA ( Protection of Personal Information Act, nr 4 of 2013),ProfSurv will request you to sign a consent for release of information.
The test is done according to the following steps:
A Negative reading of the drugtest means there are no drugs, drug metabolites or any drug compound found in your urine specimen.
A Positive reading of the drugtest indicates the presence of a drug, drug metabolite or a drug compound in the urine specimen.
The Multi 5 drugtest used is a screening test for :
1.THC (cannabis/ dagga/ weed/ ghanja)
2. COC (cocaine/ heroine/ morphine)
3. OPI (opiates / codeine)
4. AMP (amphetamines/ stimulants)
5. METH (methamphetamine/ TIK)
If the test is positive, the clinic who did the drug test will declare you unfit for work as you are deemed unsafe in the workplace.
The HR department of the work will also manage you according to the policy of the workplace.